Re: [patch 148/178] kasan: detect false-positives in tests

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 11:32:43 -0700 Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This patch is untested garbage that doesn't even compile.

Sorry, I fat-fingered a thing and used gcc-9, which disables CONFIG_KASAN.

> Use the previous release as a base (ie in this case 5.12)

Not a problem for the first batch of patches, but what base do I use for
the second and succeeding batches?

> If you have patches in
> your patch-series that depend on stuff that comes in this merge
> window, just drop them - or at least don't send them to me.

Maybe 10% of the patches I carry are based on changes which are in
linux-next.  Things like

- tree-wide renames which need to catch other developers adding
  instances of the old name.  They'll pop up in third-party testing and
  I do a last-minute grep to find these.

- changes which I've worked with other developers to stage things in
  that order.

- removal of duplicated includes for which I need to do a last-minute
  check that nobody has gone and removed the other include.

- new syscalls which would generate a ton of conflicts with new
  syscalls in other trees.

- right now I'm carrying a pile of little spelling fixes.  I stage
  these after linux-next to find out whether other tree maintainers
  have independently merged the same patches, or partially similar ones
  from others.

- etc.

I send this sort of material to you very late in the merge window,
after the prerequisites have been merged up.