Re: Re: [RFC] mm: support multi_freearea to the reduction of external fragmentation

Hi David Hildenbrand

>> And you don't mention what the baseline configuration was. For example,
>> how was compaction configured?

>> Just to clarify, what is monkey?

>> Monkey HTTP server? MonkeyTest disk benchmark? UI/Application Exerciser
>> Monkey?
I am sorry that i didn't  give a clear explanation about Monkey.
It meant  "UI/Application Exerciser Monkey" from google.

Excuse me, let me introduce our test:

1. record COMPACT_STALL
We tested the patch on linux-4.4/linux-4.9/linux-4.14/linux-4.19 and the
results shows that the patch is effective in reducing COMPACTSTALL.
    - monkey for 12 hours.
    - record COMPACTSTALL after test.

Test-result: reduced COMPACTSTALL by 95.6% with the patch.
(the machine with 4 gigabytes of physical memery and in linux-4.19.)
---------------------------------
                     |   COMPACTSTALL
---------------------------------
   ori              |     2189
---------------------------------
optimization |      95
---------------------------------

I fully agree with the value of compaction, but compaction also bring cpu
consumption and will increase the time of alloc_stall. So if we can let more
free high-orders-pages in buddy instead of signal pages, it will decrease
COMPACT_STALL and speed up memory allocation.

2. record the speed of the high-orders-pages allocation(order=4 and order = 8)
Before and after optimization, we tested the speed of the high-orders-pages allocation
after 120-hours-Monkey in 10 Android mobile phones. and the result show that
the speed has been increased by more than 18%.

Also, we do some test designed by us:
(the machine with 4 gigabytes of physical memery and in linux-4.19.)
model the usage of users, and constantly start and
operate the diffrent application for 120h, and we record COMPACT_STALL is decreased by
90+% and speed of the high-orders-pages is increaed by 15+%.

and I have some question, i hope you can guide me if when you are free.
1) What is the compaction configured?
    Dost it meant the members in zone? like as follows:
        unsigned int compact_considered;
        unsigned int compact_defer_shift;
        int compact_order_failed;
        bool compact_blockskip_failed;
    Or the some Macro variable? like as follows:
        PAGE_ALLOC_COSTLY_ORDER = 3
        MIN_COMPACT_PRIORITY = 1
        MAX_COMPACT_RETRIES = 16

>> 1) multi freearea (which might
>> be problematic with sparcity)
2) Can you pls tell me what is soarcity and what is the impact of this?
    and whether there are some documents about it?

IIRC, there are plenty. One example is will-it-scale.

Have a look at https://apc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url="">

Thanks you indeed, we will do the test and see if there's any revenue.

lipeifeng@xxxxxxxx