Re: [patch v2] oom: thaw threads if oom killed thread is frozen before deferring

Hello,

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 04:36:28PM -0700, David Rientjes wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011, Michal Hocko wrote:
>
> > The patch looks good but we still need other 2 patches
> > (http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mm/68578), right?
> >

> For the lguest patch, Rusty is the maintainer and has already acked the
> patch, so I think it should be merged through him.  I don't see a need for
> the second patch since we'll now detect frozen oom killed tasks on retry
> and don't need to kill them directly when oom killed (it just adds
> additional, unnecessary code).
>
> > Anyway, I thought that we agreed on the other approach suggested by
> > Tejun (make frozen tasks oom killable without thawing). Even in that
> > case we want the first patch
> > (http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mm/68576).
>
> If that's possible, then we can just add Tejun to add a follow-up patch to
> remove the thaw directly in the oom killer.  I'm thinking that won't be
> possible for 3.2, though, so I don't know why we'd remove
> oom-thaw-threads-if-oom-killed-thread-is-frozen-before-deferring.patch
> from -mm?

Yeah, it's a bit unclear.  All (or at least most) patches which were
necessary for this patch was queued in Rafael's tree before korg went
belly up and then we both lost track of the tree and I need to
regenerate the tree and ask Rafael to pull again.  I think the merge
window is already too close, so please go ahead with the acked fix.
Let's clean it up during the next devel cycle.

Thank you.

--
tejun