Re: alloc_pages_bulk()

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 12:00:56 +0000
Mel Gorman <mgorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 01:26:28PM +0100, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
[...]
> > I also suggest the API can return less pages than requested. Because I
> > want to to "exit"/return if it need to go into an expensive code path
> > (like buddy allocator or compaction).  I'm assuming we have a flags to
> > give us this behavior (via gfp_flags or alloc_flags)?
> >

> The API returns the number of pages returned on a list so policies
> around how aggressive it should be allocating the requested number of
> pages could be adjusted without changing the API. Passing in policy
> requests via gfp_flags may be problematic as most (all?) bits are
> already used.

Well, I was just thinking that I would use GFP_ATOMIC instead of
GFP_KERNEL to "communicate" that I don't want this call to take too
long (like sleeping).  I'm not requesting any fancy policy :-)

For page_pool use case we use (GFP_ATOMIC | __GFP_NOWARN) flags.

static inline struct page *page_pool_dev_alloc_pages(struct page_pool *pool)
{
	gfp_t gfp = (GFP_ATOMIC | __GFP_NOWARN);

	return page_pool_alloc_pages(pool, gfp);
}

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer