Re: [patch 33/95] bitops: introduce the for_each_set_clump macro

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 8:44 PM Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Syed Nayyar Waris <syednwaris@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: bitops: introduce the for_each_set_clump macro
>
> Patch series "Introduce the for_each_set_clump macro", v12.

I'm going to skip this series too.

I don't like how it adds a _really_ obscure function to a _very_ core
header file that is basically included by everything.

If I read the patches right, there is exactly one user. Maybe there
will be more, but it really isn't appropriate to add this kind of
super-rare specialized thing to everybody.

Yes, I may be more sensitive than most, because all my CPU time is
spent compiling. Particularly during the merge window. But I really
don't want to see random stuff added to core headers.

Start off making this a local "clump_bits.h" header just in the GPIO
driver directory. If there is ever another user, maybe it can become a
generic clump_bits.h header at that point. But I have to say, I can't
recall ever having seen or needed this kind of generic bit clumping
interface.

              Linus