Re: Pinning ZONE_MOVABLE pages

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 11:06:21AM -0500, Pavel Tatashin wrote:

> What I mean here is allowing users to guarantee that the page's PA is
> going to stay the same. Sort of a stronger mlock. Mlock only
> guarantees that the page is not swapped, but something like

You've just described get/pin_user_pages(), that is exactly what it is
for.

I agree with the other emails, ZONE_MOVABLE needs to be reconciled
with FOLL_LONGTERM - most likely by preventing ZONE_MOVABLE pages from
being returned. This will need migration like CMA does and the point
about faulting is only an optimization to prevent fault then immediate
migration.

Jason