copying files stops after a while in laptop mode on 2.6.38

Hi.

I'm running ubuntu 11.04 on my thinkpad X200 laptop with their 2.6.38 kernel. Whenever I copy a lot of data to my harddrive without the power connected (cryptsetup:ed drive and ubuntus eCryptfs for home directory (yeah I know, that's two levels of encryption))) the copy stops after 500-1000 megabyte. It'll just sit there, nothing more happening, my firefox goes into blocking (greys out). If I then issue a "sync" command in the terminal, things resume just as normal, until another 500-1000 megabyte has been copied. This doesn't happen if I have the power cable connected.

I interpret this as when the laptop is in laptop-mode, it doesn't flush data to drive when memory is "full". Is this a known problem with 2.6.38 kernel, or might it be something ubuntu specific? I find it strange that not more people are hit by this...

Any thoughts?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx