Re: When is page->index stable?

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 01:52:47PM -0700, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Aug 2020, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > We have a number of places where we look up a page in the page cache,
> > lock it, then have some kind of assertion that we got back the page we
> > asked for, eg filemap_fault():
> >
> >         page = find_get_page(mapping, offset);
> >         if (!lock_page_maybe_drop_mmap(vmf, page, &fpin))
> >                 goto out_retry;
> >         VM_BUG_ON_PAGE(page_to_pgoff(page) != offset, page);
> >
> > but today I noticed this in shmem_undo_range():
> >
> >                 pvec.nr = find_get_entries(mapping, index,
> >                         min(end - index, (pgoff_t)PAGEVEC_SIZE),
> >                         pvec.pages, indices);
> >                         VM_BUG_ON_PAGE(page_to_pgoff(page) != index, page);
> >                         if (!trylock_page(page))
> >                                 continue;
> >
> > So is page->index stable if we have a refcount on the page,
>
> Yes (once it has been found in the page cache -
> obviously not stable before it has been put into the page cache).
>
> > or is a lock on the page required?
>
> No.  A lock on the page is required for page cache page->mapping
> to be stable, but not required for its page->index to remain stable.
>
> > A refcount on the page prevents it from being
> > split or freed.  And there's plenty of comments along the lines of:
> >
> > mm/filemap.c:		/* Leave page->index set: truncation lookup relies on it */
> >
> > which indicates that once a page is removed from the page cache, its
> > index remains reliable (until it's freed).
> >
> > It might be nice to remove all these assertions from the callers and
> > bury them down in find_get_(entry,page,entries,...), but we can't do
> > that if we need the lock to check the index.  If we don't need the lock,
> > then it should be safe to check as soon as we've checked that
> > page == xas_reload().
>
> Yes.
>
> But you might then discover something violating the principle.
> I have an indistinct memory of spotting an instance once, maybe
> just in a prospective patchset that didn't reach the kernel; perhaps
> someone resetting page->index to 0 "for tidiness" before freeing;
> maybe page migration did that once upon a time, then got fixed.
>
> And of course beware of hugetlbfs, defining page->index differently
> (unless you have fixed that already).

The other thing to beware of is swapcache, which also defines page->index
differently.  We went through this last year ...
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20190323033852.GC10344@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/T/#u

As can be seen from that thread, even calling page_index() instead of
directly looking at page->index is insufficient because having a reference
on a page is insufficient to keep ClearPageSwapCache from being cleared.

What you're doing is safe, because you know mapping isn't a swapcache
mapping; it's a shmem mapping.

So I'm going to back out a good chunk of the work I did yesterday :-(