Re: Re: [patch] mm, memcg: provide a stat to describe reclaimable memory

On Wed, 15 Jul 2020, SeongJae Park wrote:

> > An alternative to this would also be to change from an "available" metric
> > to an "anon_reclaimable" metric since both the deferred split queues and
> > lazy freeable memory would pertain to anon.  This would no longer attempt
> > to mimic MemAvailable and leave any such calculation to userspace
> > (anon_reclaimable + (file + slab_reclaimable) / 2).
> >
> > With this route, care would need to be taken to clearly indicate that
> > anon_reclaimable is not necessarily a subset of the "anon" metric since
> > reclaimable memory from compound pages on deferred split queues is not
> > mapped, so it doesn't show up in NR_ANON_MAPPED.
> >
> > I'm indifferent to either approach and would be happy to switch to
> > anon_reclaimable if others agree and doesn't foresee any extensibility
> > issues.
>
> Agreed, I was also once confused about the 'MemAvailable'.  The 'reclaimable'
> might be better to understand.

Hi SeongJae,

I'm leaning in that direction now too, actually, because I reasoned that
determining the precise amount of anon that can be reclaimed would require
subtracting (file + slab_reclaimable) / 2, which is awkward :)

So I'll send a follow-up patch to add only an anon_reclaimable field which
is good enough for our purposes unless others would like to have more
discussion.

Thanks!