Re: Are there still some methods that could be used by the Linux kernel to reduce memory fragmentation while both CONFIG-MIGRATION and CONFIG-COMPACTION are disabled?

>> Are there still some methods that could be used by the Linux kernel
>> to reduce memory fragmentation while both CONFIG-MIGRATION
>> and CONFIG-COMPACTION are disabled?
>

>We do have mobility grouping on pageblock order.
>Also, I think you can use ZONE_MOVABLE without migration and compaction,
>to at least locally limit unmovable fragmentation.
It's a good news.

Could you please explain that in more detail for me or suggest some documents
for me to go through.

As per the post(http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1703.1/06782.html),
I think it's something like ZONE_NORMAL. And I find that
"ZONE_MOVEABLE" is available on Linux-v4.9.

>> Are there some system settings that could make for this goal?
>
>Why don't you want page compaction/migration?

Because I am using a real-time system(and I have to apply a patch
to Linux kernel), I have no choice other than disabling these
aforementioned options.

Is there some potential problems that I should be aware of if I enable
"ZONE_MOVABLE" on real-time system?

Best Regards.

David Hildenbrand <david@xxxxxxxxxx> 于2020年6月24日周三 下午5:53写道: