Re: [patch 24/25] mm: use only pidfd for process_madvise syscall

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 07:09:16PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 6:42 PM Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > From: Minchan Kim <minchan@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: mm: use only pidfd for process_madvise syscall
>
> No.
>
> I'm not taking this crazy series.
>
> First we have patch 18/25, which introduces process_madvise() that
> takes a pidfd.
>
> Then we have patch 21/25, which says
>
>    "There is a demand[1] to support pid as well pidfd for process_madvise.."
>
> and points to
>
>   https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/9d849087-3359-c4ab-fbec-859e8186c509@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/
>
> And then finally we have patch 24/25, which says
>
>  "Based on discussion[1], people didn't feel we need to support both
>   pid and pidfd for every new coming API[2] so this patch keeps only
>   pidfd"
>
> and points to
>
>   https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20200509124817.xmrvsrq3mla6b76k@wittgenstein/
>
> Fine. Discussion is good. But this patch-series is crazy, and I refuse
> to take this kind of schizophrenic patches that can't make up their
> mind.
>
> Make up your mind, dammit! Don't send me patches that vacillate
> between two standpoints and make the history and the eventual final
> end result really hard to tell.
>
> What will it be tomorrow? Another two patches that decide to go the
> other way and then back?
>
>  I'm going to flush this whole madvise patch-set down the toilet,
> because after having this kind of whip-lash looking through it, I
> can't take it any more.
>
> So all of 17-25 are just going in the garbage until people can make up
> their minds.

At next revision, I will merge 18 and 23 into a patch with dropping
21 and 24.
Andrew, I will resend it after rc window is closed.
Thanks.

[patch 18/25] mm/madvise: introduce process_madvise() syscall: an external memory hinting API
[patch 21/25] mm/madvise: support both pid and pidfd for process_madvise
[patch 23/25] mm: support vector address ranges for process_madvise
[patch 24/25] mm: use only pidfd for process_madvise syscall