Re: incoming

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 2:12 PM Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Stupid diffstat.  Means that basically all my diffstats are very wrong.

I'm actually used to diffstats not matching 100%/

Usually it's not due to this issue - a "git diff --stat" *will* give
the stat from the actual combined diff result - but with git diffstats
the issue is that I might have gotten a patch from another source.

So the diffstat I see after-the-merge is possibly different from the
pre-merge diffstat simply due to merge issues.

So then I usually take a look at "ok, why did that diffstat differ"
and go "Ahh".

In your case, when I looked at the diffstat, I couldn't for the life
of me see how you would have gotten the diffstat you did, since I only
saw a single patch with no merge issues.

> Thanks for spotting it.
>
> I can fix that...

I can also just live with it, knowing what your workflow is. The
diffstat matching exactly just isn't that important - in fact,
different versions of "diff" can give slightly different output anyway
depending on diff algorithms even when they are looking at the exact
same before/after state. There's not necessarily always only one way
to generate a valid diff.

So to me, the diffstat is more of a guide than a hard thing, and I
want to see the rough outline,

In fact, one reason I want to see it in pull requests is actually just
that I want to get a feel for what changes even before I do the pull
or merge, so it's not just a "match against what I get" thing.

                      Linus