Re: incoming

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 10:21:19AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 8:00 PM Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > - A few y2038 fixes which missed the merge window whiole dependencies
> >   in NFS were being sorted out.
> >
> > - A bunch of fixes.  Some minor, some not.
>
> Hmm. Konstantin's nice lore script _used_ to pick up your patches, but
> now they don't.
>
> I'm not sure what changed. It worked with your big series of 118 patches.
>
> It doesn't work with this smaller series of fixes.
>
> I think the difference is that you've done something bad to your patch
> sending. That big series was properly threaded with each of the
> patches being a reply to the 'incoming' message.
>
> This series is not.

This is correct -- each patch is posted without an in-reply-to, so
public-inbox doesn't group them into a thread.

E.g.:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20200221040350.84HaG%25akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

> Please, Andrew, can you make your email flow more consistent so that I
> can actually use the nice new tool to download a patch series?

Andrew, I'll be happy to provide you with a helper tool if you can
describe me your workflow. E.g. if you have a quilt directory of patches
plus a series file, it could easily be a tiny wrapper like:

send-patches --base-commit 1234abcd --cover cover.txt patchdir/series

-K