Re: Re: Splitting the mmap_sem

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 18:07:15 +0100 Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu 09-01-20 18:03:25, Michal Hocko wrote:
> > I might misremember but RCU based VMA handling has
> > been considered in the past. I do not remember details but there were
> > some problems and page tables allocation is not the biggest one.
>
> I have found https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/papers/rcuvm:asplos12.pdf in my
> notes. I managed to forget everything but maybe it will be useful for a
> reference.

The subsequent work from the authors
(https://people.csail.mit.edu/nickolai/papers/clements-radixvm-2014-08-05.pdf)
might be also useful for the understanding of the limitations found from the
work.

I also forgot many details but as far as I remember, the biggest problem with
the rcuvm was the update side scalability limitation that results from the
single updater lock and the TLB invalidations.  I has also internally
implemented another RCU based vm that utilizing fine-grained update side
synchronization.  The write side performance of my version was therefore much
improved, but it also dropped the performance at the end with heavily
write-intensive workloads due to the TLB flush overhead.

Page table allocations weren't bothered me at that time.

Thanks,
SeongJae Park