Re: Splitting the mmap_sem

On Fri, Dec 06, 2019 at 12:30:30PM -0500, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 05, 2019 at 09:13:22PM -0800, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > >
> > > I do not believe this is OK, i believe this is wrong (not even considering
> > > possible hardware issues that can arise from such aliasing).
> >
> > Well, OK, but why do you believe it is wrong?  If thread A is executing
> > a load instruction at the same time that thread B is calling mmap(),
> > it really is indeterminate what value A loads.  It might be from before
> > the call to mmap() and it might be from after.  And if thread C is also
> > executing a load instruction at the same time, then it might already get
> > a different result from thread A.  And can threads A and C really tell
> > which of them executed the load instruction 'first'?  I think this is
> > all so indeterminate already that the (lack of) guarantees I outlined
> > above are acceptable.
> >
> > But we should all agree on this, so _please_ continue to argue your case
> > for why you believe it to be wrong.
>
> I agree that such application might looks like it is doing something that
> is undeterminate but their might be application that catch SEGFAULT and use
> it as synchronization. I did something similar for reverse engineering a
> long time ago with a library call libsegfault ...
>
> In any case, i agree that an application that is not catching SEGFAULT, and
> which is doing the above (access patterns) is doing something undeterminate.
>
> Nonetheless i believe it is important that at any point in time for all the
> threads in a given process, on all the CPUs, a given virtual address should
> always point to the same physical memory (or to nothing) ie we should never
> have one CPU that sees a different physical memory from another CPU for the
> same virtual address.
>
> Well i feel like you are also not discussing about the munmap() the above
> seemed to be about MAP_FIXED (replacing an existing mapping). For munmap
> too i believe we should agree on what should be the expected behavior and
> from my POV again we should not allow new mapping to appear until a "running"
> munmap is not fully done (ie all CPUs cache and TLB flushed). For the same
> reason as above ie all CPUs always see same physical memory (or nothing) for
> a given virtual address.

I see MAP_FIXED as being the harder case, but sure, let's talk about
munmap!  I agree that a munmap() + mmap() call should not permit thread
B to see the old value after thread A has seen the new value.  But,
as long as no new mmap can occupy that range, then it's OK if thread A
takes a segfault while thread B can still load the old value.  At least
for a short window.

We can replicate that behaviour by ensuring that new lookups see a NULL
entry, but new attempts to allocate will not reuse that range until the
munmap has finished and all TLB entries are flushed.  The maple tree
actually supports a "ZERO" entry (just like the XArray does) which has
this behaviour -- lookups see NULL, but attempts to allocate do not see
it as free.  We already use that property to prevent allocating above
the end of the process address space.

> This is what we have today with the big rwsem and i think we need to keep
> that behavior even with concurency. I do not believe this will impact the
> performance and it is easy enough to solve so i feel safer doing so given
> it does not cost anything.
>
> So i would rather argue on why we should change the current behavior if we
> can fix the concurrency without changing it (hence why discussing solution
> might also be relevant here).

It seems like you want to force a thread which sees an ongoing munmap
to spin or sleep until the munmap is done, rather than immediately take
a segfault, and I don't know that's a useful behaviour.

> > > Just to make sure i understand, you propose that ->map_pages() becomes
> > > a new ->fault() handler that get calls before ->fault() without refcount
> > > so that we can update fs/drivers slowly to perform better in the new scheme
> > > (ie avoid the overead of refcounting if possible at all) ?
> > >
> > > The ->fault() callback would then be the "slow" path which will require
> > > a refcount on the vma (taken by core mm code before dropping rcu lock).
> >
> > I would actually propose never updating most drivers.  There's just no
> > need for them to handle such an unstable and tricky situation as this.
> > Let's not make driver writers lives harder.
> >
> > For the ones which need this kind of scalability (and let's be clear, they
> > would already have *better* scalability than today due to the rwsem being
> > split into a per-VMA refcount), then yes, implementing ->map_pages would
> > be the way to go.  Indeed, they would probably benefit from implementing
> > it today, since it will reduce the number of page faults.
>
> Yes they will get better scalability but i see some of those drivers might
> want the extra few mini-percent :) In any case, i believe that it might be
> better to give a new name ie fix current map_pages() user and rename that
> callback to something more explicit (atomic_map_pages() or something similar
> i am not good at naming). But otherwise this looks like a good plan to avoid
> excessive refcount overhead.

OK, great.  I don't think the current name is bad, but if someone comes
up with a better one, I don't have a problem with renaming it.