Re: + mm-introduce-reported-pages.patch added to -mm tree

On Wed 06-11-19 08:35:43, Alexander Duyck wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-11-06 at 15:09 +0100, David Hildenbrand wrote:
> > > Am 06.11.2019 um 13:16 schrieb Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> > >
> > > I didn't have time to read through newer versions of this patch series
> > > but I remember there were concerns about this functionality being pulled
> > > into the page allocator previously both by me and Mel [1][2]. Have those been
> > > addressed? I do not see an ack from Mel or any other MM people. Is there
> > > really a consensus that we want something like that living in the
> > > allocator?
> >
> > I don‘t think there is. The discussion is still ongoing (although quiet,
> > Nitesh is working on a new version AFAIK). I think we should not rush
> > this.
>
> How much time is needed to get a review? I waited 2 weeks since posting
> v12 and the only comments I got on the code were from Andrew. Most of this
> hasn't changed much since v10 and that was posted back in mid September. I
> have been down to making small tweaks here and there and haven't had any
> real critiques on the approach since Mel had the comments about conflicts
> with compaction which I addressed by allowing compaction to punt the
> reporter out so that it could split and splice the lists as it walked
> through them.

Well, people are busy and MM community is not a large one. I cannot
really help you much other than keep poking those people and give
reasonable arguments so they decide to ack your patch.

I definitely do not intent to nack this work, I just have maintainability
concerns and considering there is an alternative approach that does not
require to touch page allocator internals and which we need to compare
against then I do not really think there is any need to push something
in right away. Or is there any pressing reason to have this merged right
now?
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs