Re: [RFC v1] mm: add page preemption

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 10:17:29 +0200 Michal Hocko wrote:

> On Tue 22-10-19 22:28:02, Hillf Danton wrote:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I am sorry but this doesn't say anything to me. How come not all
> > > workloads would fit that description?
> >
> > That means pp plays a role when kswapd becomes active, and it may
> > prevent too much jitters in active lru pages.
>
> This is still too vague to be useful in any way.

Page preemption is designed to function only under memory pressure by
suggesting kswapd to skip deactivating some pages based on prio comparison.
No page will be skipped without difference found in prio by design.
That said, no workload can be picked out before updating prio, so let
users who know that their workloads are sensitive to jitters in lru pages
chage the nice.
We are simply adding the pp feature; users are responsible for turning pp
on and changing nice if they feel necessary.

> > > So do you actually want to establish LRUs per priority?
> >
> > No, no change other than the prio for every lru page was added. LRU per prio
> > is too much to implement.
>
> Well, considering that per page priority is a no go as already pointed
> out by Willy then you do not have other choice right?

No need to seek extra choice because of the prio introduced to reclaiming as
no one is hurt by design without pp enabled and prio updated.

> > > Why using memcgs is not an option?
> >
> > I have plan to add prio in memcg. As you see, I sent a rfc before v0 with
> > nice added in memcg, and realised a couple days ago that its dependence on
> > soft limit reclaim is not acceptable.
> >
> > But we can't do that without determining how to define memcg's prio.
> > What is in mind now is the highest (or lowest) prio of tasks in a memcg
> > with a knob offered to userspace.
> >
> > If you like, I want to have a talk about it sometime later.
>
> This doesn't really answer my question.
> Why cannot you use memcgs as they are now.

No prio provided.

> Why exactly do you need a fixed priority?

Prio comparison in global reclaim is what was added. Because every task has
prio makes that comparison possible.

> > > This is the main facility to partition reclaimable
> > > memory in the first place.

Is every task (pid != 1) contained in memcg? And why?

> > > You should really focus on explaining on why
> > > a much more fine grained control is needed much more thoroughly.

Which do you prefer, cello or fiddle? And why?

> > > Well, low limit can be breached if there is no eliglible memcg to be
> > > reclaimed. That means that you can shape some sort of priority by
> > > setting the low limit already.
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > What about the direct reclaim?
> >
> > Their prio will not change before reclaiming finishes, so leave it be.
>
> This doesn't answer my question.

No prio inversion in direct reclaim if you mean that.

> > > What if pages of a lower priority are
> > > hard to reclaim? Do you want a process of a higher priority stall more
> > > just because it has to wait for those lower priority pages?
> >
> > The problems above are not introduced by pp, let Mr. Kswapd take care of
> > them.
>
> No, this is not an answer.

Is pp making them worse?

Thanks