Re: + mm-hugetlb-make-alloc_gigantic_page-available-for-general-use.patch added to -mm tree

On 10/15/2019 01:59 AM, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 02:17:30PM +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:
>> On Fri 11-10-19 13:29:32, Andrew Morton wrote:
>>> alloc_gigantic_page() implements an allocation method where it scans over
>>> various zones looking for a large contiguous memory block which could not
>>> have been allocated through the buddy allocator.  A subsequent patch which
>>> tests arch page table helpers needs such a method to allocate PUD_SIZE
>>> sized memory block.  In the future such methods might have other use cases
>>> as well.  So alloc_gigantic_page() has been split carving out actual
>>> memory allocation method and made available via new
>>> alloc_gigantic_page_order().
>>
>> You are exporting a helper used for hugetlb internally. Is this really
>> what is needed? I haven't followed this patchset but don't you simply
>> need a generic 1GB allocator? If yes then you should be looking at
>> alloc_contig_range.
>
> He actually doesn't need to allocate any memory at all.  All he needs is
> the address of a valid contiguous PUD-sized chunk of memory.

We had already discussed about the benefits of allocated memory over
synthetic pfn potentially derived from a kernel text symbol. More
over we are not adding any new helper or new code for this purpose,
but instead just trying to reuse code which is already present.

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/1565335998-22553-1-git-send-email-anshuman.khandual@xxxxxxx/T/