Re: Kernel falls apart under light memory pressure (i.e. linking vmlinux)

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 2:43 AM, Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Copying back linux-mm.
>
>> Recently, we added following patch.
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/4/26/129
>> If it's a culprit, the patch should solve the problem.
>
> It would be probably better to not do the allocations at all under
> memory pressure. ÂEven if the RA allocation doesn't go into reclaim

Fair enough.
I think we can do it easily now.
If page_cache_alloc_readahead(ie, GFP_NORETRY) is fail, we can adjust
RA window size or turn off a while. The point is that we can use the
fail of __do_page_cache_readahead as sign of memory pressure.
Wu, What do you think?

> it may still "steal" allocations recently freed and needed by other
> actors.

This problem is general thing as well as RA.
But it would be not a big problem in order-0 pages.
If it's a really problem, it might sign we have to increase SWAP_CLUSTER_MAX.

The concern I thought is order-0 allocation happens with other
higher-order reclaims in parallel.
order-0 allocation can steal other's high order pages.
For it, I sent a patch but I didn't have enough time to dig in.
https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/5/2/93
I have a plan to do.

--
Kind regards,