Re: mmc blkqueue is empty even if there are pending reads in do_generic_file_read()

On 3 May 2011 15:16, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 28 April 2011, Per Forlin wrote:
>
>> For reads on the other hand it look like this
>> root@(none):/ dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/null bs=4k count=256
>> 256+0 records in
>> 256+0 records out
>> root@(none):/ dmesg
>> [mmc_queue_thread] req d954cec0 blocks 32
>> [mmc_queue_thread] req   (null) blocks 0
>> [mmc_queue_thread] req   (null) blocks 0
>> [mmc_queue_thread] req d954cec0 blocks 64
>> [mmc_queue_thread] req   (null) blocks 0
>> [mmc_queue_thread] req d954cde8 blocks 128
>> [mmc_queue_thread] req   (null) blocks 0
>> [mmc_queue_thread] req d954cec0 blocks 256
>> [mmc_queue_thread] req   (null) blocks 0
>
>> There are never more than one read request in the mmc block queue. All
>> the mmc request preparations will be serialized and the cost for this
>> is roughly 10% lower bandwidth (verified on ARM platforms ux500 and
>> Pandaboard).
>
> After some offline discussions, I went back to look at your mail, and I think
> the explanation is much simpler than you expected:
>
> You have only a single process reading blocks synchronously, so the round
> trip goes all the way to user space. The block layer does some readahead,
> so it will start reading 32 blocks instead of just 8 (4KB) for the first
> read, but then the user process just sits waiting for data. After the
> mmc driver has finished reading the entire 32 blocks, the user needs a
> little time to read them from the page cache in 4 KB chunks (8 syscalls),
> during which the block layer has no clue about what the user wants to do
> next.
>
> The readahead scales up to 256 blocks, but there is still only one reader,
> so you never have additional requests in the queue.
>
> Try running multiple readers in parallel, e.g.
>
> for i in 1 2 3 4 5 ; do
>        dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=16k count=256 iflag=direct skip=$[$i * 1024] &
> done
Yes you are right about this. If I run with multiple read threads
there are multiple request waiting in the mmc block queue.

>> page_not_up_to_date:
>> /* Get exclusive access to the page ... */
>> error = lock_page_killable(page);
> I looked at the code in do_generic_file_read(). lock_page_killable
> waits until the current read ahead is completed.
> Is it possible to configure the read ahead to push multiple read
> request to the block device queue?add
When I first looked at this I used dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/null bs=1M count=4
If bs is larger than read ahead, this will make the execution loop in
do_generic_file_read() reading 512 until 1M is read. The second time
in this loop it will wait on lock_page_killable.

If bs=16k the execution wont stuck at lock_page_killable.

>        Arnd

Thanks,
Per