Re: + mm-add-sys-kernel-slab-cache-cache_dma32.patch added to -mm tree

On Wed 20-03-19 08:17:52, Nicolas Boichat wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 3:18 AM Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue 19-03-19 11:37:51, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > From: Nicolas Boichat <drinkcat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > > Subject: mm: add /sys/kernel/slab/cache/cache_dma32
> > >
> > > A previous patch in this series adds support for SLAB_CACHE_DMA32 kmem
> > > caches.  This adds the corresponding /sys/kernel/slab/cache/cache_dma32
> > > entries, and fixes slabinfo tool.
> >
> > I believe I have asked and didn't get a satisfactory answer before IIRC. Who
> > is going to consume this information?
>
> No answer from me, but as a reminder, I added this note on the patch
> (https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10720491/):
> """
> There were different opinions on whether this sysfs entry should
> be added, so I'll leave it up to the mm/slub maintainers to decide
> whether they want to pick this up, or drop it.
> """

We have a terrible track rescord of exporting data to userspace that
kick back much later. So I am really convinced that adding new user
visible data should be justified by a useful usecase. Exporting just
because we can is a terrible justification if you ask me.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs