Re: Truncate regression due to commit 69b6c1319b6

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 04:03:25PM +1000, Nicholas Piggin wrote:
> Matthew Wilcox's on February 27, 2019 3:27 am:
> > 2. The setup overhead of the XA_STATE might be a problem.
> > If so, we can do some batching in order to improve things.
> > I suspect your test is calling __clear_shadow_entry through the
> > truncate_exceptional_pvec_entries() path, which is already a batch.
> > Maybe something like patch [1] at the end of this mail.
>
> One nasty thing about the XA_STATE stack object as opposed to just
> passing the parameters (in the same order) down to children is that
> you get the same memory accessed nearby, but in different ways
> (different base register, offset, addressing mode etc). Which can
> reduce effectiveness of memory disambiguation prediction, at least
> in cold predictor case.

That is nasty.  At the C level, it's a really attractive pattern.
Shame it doesn't work out so well on hardware.  I wouldn't mind
turning shift/sibs/offset into a manually-extracted unsigned long
if that'll help with the addressing mode mispredictions?

> I've seen (on some POWER CPUs at least) flushes due to aliasing
> access in some of these xarray call chains, although no idea if
> that actually makes a noticable difference in microbenchmark like
> this.
>
> But it's not the greatest pattern to use for passing to low level
> performance critical functions :( Ideally the compiler could just
> do a big LTO pass right at the end and unwind it all back into
> registers and fix everything, but that will never happen.

I wonder if we could get the compiler people to introduce a structure
attribute telling the compiler to pass this whole thing back-and-forth in
registers ... 6 registers is a lot to ask the compiler to reserve though.