Re: [Lsf-pc] Memory management facing a 400Gpbs network link

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Thu, 2019-02-21 at 18:15 +0000, Christopher Lameter wrote:
>
> > B) Provide fast memory in the NIC
> >
> >    Since the NIC is at capacity limits when it comes to pushing data
> >    from the NIC into memory the obvious solution is to not go to main
> >    memory but provide faster on NIC memory that can then be accessed
> >    from the host as needed. Now the applications creates I/O
> > bottlenecks
> >    when accessing their data or they need to implement complicated
> >    transfer mechanisms to retrieve and store data onto the NIC
> > memory.
>
> Don't Intel and AMD both have High Bandwidth Memory
> available?

Well that is another problem that I omitted from the new revision.

Yes but that memory is special with different performance characteristics
and often also represented as another NUMA node.

> Is it possible to place your network buffer in HBM,
> and process the data from there?

Ok but there is still the I/O bottleneck. So you can either have the HBM
on the host processor (Xeon Phi solution) in a special NUMA node. Or you
put the HBM onto the NIC and address it via PCI-E from the host processor
(which means slower access for the host but fast writes from the network)