Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Test cases to choose for demonstrating mm features or fixing mm bugs

On Mon 28-01-19 22:20:33, Balbir Singh wrote:
> Sending a patch to linux-mm today has become a complex task. One of the
> reasons for the complexity is a lack of fundamental expectation of what
> tests to run.
>
> Mel Gorman has a set of tests [1], but there is no easy way to select
> what tests to run. Some of them are proprietary (spec*), but others
> have varying run times. A single line change may require hours or days
> of testing, add to that complexity of configuration. It requires a lot
> of tweaking and frequent test spawning to settle down on what to run,
> what configuration to choose and benefit to show.
>
> The proposal is to have a discussion on how to design a good sanity
> test suite for the mm subsystem, which could potentially include
> OOM test cases and known problem patterns with proposed changes

I am not sure I follow. So what is the problem you would like to solve.
If tests are taking too long then there is a good reason for that most
probably. Are you thinking of any specific tests which should be run or
even included to MM tests or similar?
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs