Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Sharing file backed pages

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 10:48:58AM +0200, Amir Goldstein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In his session about "reflink" in LSF/MM 2016 [1], Darrick Wong brought
> up the subject of sharing pages between cloned files and the general vibe
> in room was that it could be done.
>
> In his talk about XFS subvolumes and snapshots [2], Dave Chinner said
> that Matthew Willcox was "working on that problem".

My solution is to move the DAX hacks into the page cache proper.  For a
reflinked file, the filesystem would create a canonical address_space
to own the pages, and this is what ->mapping and ->index would refer to.

Instances of that reflinked file would each have their own address_space,
just as they have their own inode.  The i_pages array would contain only
PFN entries (until the COWs start).

I'm currently at LCA; please excuse me for not participating more fully
right now.