Re: [Lsf] [LSF][MM] rough agenda for memcg.

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:01:13 +0900
KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So, for this slot, I'd like to discuss
>
>   I) Softlimit/Isolation (was 3-A) for 1hour
>      If we have extra time, kernel memory accounting or file-cache handling
>      will be good.
>
>   II) Dirty page handling. (for 30min)
>      Maybe we'll discuss about per-memcg inode queueing issue.
>
>   III) Discussing the current and future design of LRU.(for 30+min)
>
>   IV) Diet of page_cgroup (for 30-min)
>       Maybe this can be combined with III.

Thank you for feedbacks. I think I don't have enough time to reply all..
So, I'm sorry I make a reply in this style.

Hearing your replies and other private feedbacks, I think following schedule
will be good. And I want to spend time for topics for which patches are
posted and someone measured the cost and benefits.

1) How memcg users uses it and what's wanted ?  (for 1st session/30min)

   At start, we should sort out what's wanted as functions of memcg.
   We need to hear use cases. And see what is the problem, now.
   Maybe we can discuss requirements for kernel memory limit, here.
   (I think we have no time to discuss implemenation in official slot.)

2) What's next ? : 30min.
   At first, Pavel will explain what OpenVZ does.
   Then, we can discuss about softlimit/isolation and LRU design.
   I think it will be a hot topic in the next half year with dirty page handling.

3) Dirty Page Handling.

4) Discussing LRU, costs and fairness.
   At first, need to discuss effect of per-memcg background reclaim.
   Then, discuss about new LRU design including removing page_cgroup->lru.

5) Diet of page_cgroup and others.
   I don't think diet topic requires full 30min. So, some extra topic is....
   It seems some guys want to overcommit vmem size with cgroup.

A topic from me was adding a memcg only-for-file-cache...but I have no patches.
Postphone until I have a concrete idea and patches.

Thanks,
-Kame