Re: Number of arguments in vmalloc.c

> On Dec 3, 2018, at 7:12 PM, Nadav Amit <nadav.amit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 3, 2018, at 2:49 PM, Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> My intuition is that if all the fields of vm_args were initialized together
>>> (in the same function), and a 'const struct vm_args *' was provided as
>>> an argument to other functions, code would be better (at least better than
>>> what you got right now).
>>>
>>> I’m not saying it is easily applicable in this use-case (since I didn’t
>>> check).
>>
>> Your intuition is wrong ...
>>
>>  text	   data	    bss	    dec	    hex	filename
>>  9466	     81	     32	   9579	   256b	before.o
>>  9546	     81	     32	   9659	   25bb	.build-tiny/mm/vmalloc.o
>>  9546	     81	     32	   9659	   25bb	const.o
>>
>> indeed, there's no difference between with or without the const, according
>> to 'cmp'.
>>
>> Now, only alloc_vmap_area() gets to take a const argument.
>> __get_vm_area_node() intentionally modifies the arguments.  But feel
>> free to play around with this; you might be able to make it do something
>> worthwhile.
>
> I was playing with it (a bit). What I suggested (modifying
> __get_vm_area_node() so it will not change arguments) helps a bit, but not
> much.
>
> One insight that I got is that at least part of the overhead comes from the
> the stack protector code that gcc emits.

[ +Peter ]

So I dug some more (I’m still not done), and found various trivial things
(e.g., storing zero extending u32 immediate is shorter for registers,
inlining already takes place).

*But* there is one thing that may require some attention - patch
b59167ac7bafd ("x86/percpu: Fix this_cpu_read()”) set ordering constraints
on the VM_ARGS() evaluation. And this patch also imposes, it appears,
(unnecessary) constraints on other pieces of code.

These constraints are due to the addition of the volatile keyword for
this_cpu_read() by the patch. This affects at least 68 functions in my
kernel build, some of which are hot (I think), e.g., finish_task_switch(),
smp_x86_platform_ipi() and select_idle_sibling().

Peter, perhaps the solution was too big of a hammer? Is it possible instead
to create a separate "this_cpu_read_once()” with the volatile keyword? Such
a function can be used for native_sched_clock() and other seqlocks, etc.