Re: [Lsf] [LSF][MM] page allocation & direct reclaim latency

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 01:35:24PM -0700, Ying Han wrote:
> In page reclaim, I would like to discuss on the magic "8" *
> high_wmark() in balance_pgdat(). I recently found the discussion on
> thread "too big min_free_kbytes", where I didn't find where we proved
> it is still a problem or not. This might not need reserve time slot,
> but something I want to learn more on.

That is merged in 2.6.39-rc1. It's hopefully working good enough. We
still use high+balance_gap but the balance_gap isn't high*8 anymore. I
still think the balance_gap may as well be zero but the gap now is
small enough (not 600M on 4G machine anymore) that it's ok and this
was a safer change.

This is an LRU ordering issue to try to keep the lru balance across
the zones and not just rotate a lot a single one. I think it can be
covered in the LRU ordering topic too. But we could also expand it to
a different slot if we expect too many issues to showup in that
slot... Hugh what's your opinion?

The subtopics that comes to mind for that topic so far would be:

- reclaim latency
- compaction issues (Mel)
- lru ordering altered by compaction/migrate/khugepaged or other
  features requiring lru page isolation (Minchan)
- lru rotation balance across zones in kswapd (balance_gap) (Ying)