Re: stable request: mm, page_alloc: actually ignore mempolicies for high priority allocations

+CC linux-mm

On 11/7/18 6:33 PM, Mike Manning wrote:
> Hello, Please consider backporting to 4.14.y the following commit from
> kernel-net-next by Vlastimil Babka [CC'ed]:
>
> d6a24df00638 ("mm, page_alloc: actually ignore mempolicies for high
> priority allocations") It cherry-picks cleanly and builds fine.
>
> The reason for the request is that the commit 1d26c112959f
> <http://stash.eng.vyatta.net:7990/projects/VC/repos/linux-vyatta/commits/1d26c112959f> ("mm,
> page_alloc:do not break __GFP_THISNODE by zonelist reset") that was
> previously backported to 4.14.y broke some of our functionality after we
> upgraded from an earlier 4.14 kernel without the fix.

Well, that's very surprising! Could you be more specific about what
exactly got broken?

> The reason this is
> happening is not clear, with this commit only found by bisect.
> Fortunately the requested commit resolves the issue.

I would like to understand the problem first, because I currently can't
imagine how the first commit could break something and the second fix it.