Re: Caching/buffers become useless after some time

On Wed 31-10-18 15:53:44, Marinko Catovic wrote:
[...]
> Well caching of any operations with find/du is not necessary imho
> anyway, since walking over all these millions of files in that time
> period is really not worth caching at all - if there is a way you
> mentioned to limit the commands there, that would be great.

One possible way would be to run this find/du workload inside a memory
cgroup with high limit set to something reasonable (that will likely
require some tuning). I am not 100% sure that will behave for metadata
mostly workload without almost any pagecache to reclaim so it might turn
out this will result in other issues. But it is definitely worth trying.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs