Re: Redoing eXclusive Page Frame Ownership (XPFO) with isolated CPUs in mind (for KVM to isolate its guests per CPU)

On Mon, 2018-08-20 at 14:48 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Of course, after the long (and entirely unrelated) discussion about
> the TLB flushing bug we had, I'm starting to worry about my own
> competence, and maybe I'm missing something really fundamental, and
> the XPFO patches do something else than what I think they do, or my
> "hey, let's use our Meltdown code" idea has some fundamental weakness
> that I'm missing.

The interesting part is taking the user (and other) pages out of the
kernel's 1:1 physmap.

It's the *kernel* we don't want being able to access those pages,
because of the multitude of unfixable cache load gadgets.

Amazon Development Centre (London) Ltd.Registered in England and Wales with registration number 04543232 with its registered office at 1 Principal Place, Worship Street, London EC2A 2FA, United Kingdom.