Re: post linux 4.4 vm oom kill, lockup and thrashing woes

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 10:38:08AM +0200, Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > http://data.plan9.de/kvm_oom.txt
>
> That is something to bring up with kvm guys. Order-6 pages are
> considered costly and success of the allocation is by no means
> guaranteed. Unike for orders smaller than 4 they do not trigger the oom
> killer though.

So 4 is the magic barrier, good to know. In any case, as I said, it's just
an example of various allocations that fail unexpectedly after 4.4, and it's
by no means just nvidia.

> vmalloc fallback would be a good alternative. Unfortunatelly I am not
> able to find which allocation is that. What does faddr2line kvm_dev_ioctl_create_vm+0x40
> say?

I suspect I can't run this for an installed kernel without sources/object
files? In this case a precompiled kernel from ubuntu mainline-ppa.
Running faddr2line kvm.ko ... just gives me:

   kvm_dev_ioctl_create_vm+0x40/0x5d1:
   kvm_dev_ioctl_create_vm at ??:?

      ----==-- _       generation
      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      schmorp@xxxxxxxxxx