Re: [RFC] Scale slub page allocations with memory size

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> From: Matthew Wilcox <mawilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> With larger memory sizes, it's more important to avoid external
> fragmentation than reduce memory usage.

If you do that then the higher order pages that we will then be using will
be exhausted faster. I think we need a generic fix to be able to preserve
higher order pages first.

Dave Hansen and I thought about a 2M basepage configuration?

Something between 4k and 2M would be better but then the hardware wont
support that and given that we can have terabytes in a server this may
be feasable now.

Or make order 0 be 64k page like on ARM 64 and Power and then handle
multiple ptes like the implementation years ago by Hugh.