Re: too big min_free_kbytes

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 04:08:47PM +0800, Shaohua Li wrote:
> with madvise, the min_free_kbytes is still high (same as the 'always'
> case). The result is still we have about 50M memory is reserved. you can
> try at your machine with boot option 'mem=2G' and check the zoneinfo
> output.

yes I know. The objective of that test was exactly to know if the
problem is higher memory footprint because of THP or only the
anti-frag/min_free_kbytes which would still be present with the
"madvise" setting (anti-frag is only shutdown by the "never"
setting). If you still have the out of memory with madvise, then you
can keep THP enabled "always" and then "echo 16384 >
/proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes", it should work fine then even with THP
always mode then, no need to disable THP (simply you won't have a good
guarantee that anti-frag is functional so the hugepage usage will be
reduced over time compared to the default min_free_kbytes that enables
anti-frag fully).