Re: Removing GFP_NOFS

On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 12:35:35PM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2018 at 03:46:18PM -0800, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> >
> > Do we have a strategy for eliminating GFP_NOFS?
> >
> > As I understand it, our intent is to mark the areas in individual
> > filesystems that can't be reentered with memalloc_nofs_save()/restore()
> > pairs.  Once they're all done, then we can replace all the GFP_NOFS
> > users with GFP_KERNEL.
>
> Won't be that easy, I think.  We recently came across user-reported
> allocation deadlocks in XFS where we were doing allocation with
> pages held in the writeback state that lockdep has never triggered
> on.
>
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-xfs/msg16154.html
>
> IOWs, GFP_NOFS isn't a solid guide to where
> memalloc_nofs_save/restore need to cover in the filesystems because
> there's a surprising amount of code that isn't covered by existing
> lockdep annotations to warning us about un-intended recursion
> problems.
>
> I think we need to start with some documentation of all the generic
> rules for where these will need to be set, then the per-filesystem
> rules can be added on top of that...

So thinking a bit further here:

* page writeback state gets set and held:
	->writepage should be under memalloc_nofs_save
	->writepages should be under memalloc_nofs_save
* page cache write path is often under AOP_FLAG_NOFS
	- should probably be under memalloc_nofs_save
* metadata writeback that uses page cache and page writeback flags
  should probably be under memalloc_nofs_save

What other generic code paths are susceptible to allocation
deadlocks?

Cheers,

Dave.
--