Re: The usage of page_mapping() in architecture code

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 02:43:39PM +0800, Huang, Ying wrote:
> Hi, All,
>
> To optimize the scalability of swap cache, it is made more dynamic
> than before.  That is, after being swapped off, the address space of
> the swap device will be freed too.  So the usage of page_mapping()
> need to be audited to make sure the address space of the swap device
> will not be used after it is freed.  For most cases it is OK, because
> to call page_mapping(), the page, page table, or LRU list will be
> locked.  But I found at least one usage isn't safe.  When
> page_mapping() is called in architecture specific code to flush dcache
> or sync between dcache and icache.
>
> The typical usage models are,
>

> 1) Check whether page_mapping() is NULL, which is safe
>
> 2) Call mapping_mapped() to check whether the backing file is mapped
>    to user space.
>
> 3) Iterate all vmas via the interval tree (mapping->i_mmap) to flush dcache
>

> 2) and 3) isn't safe, because no lock to prevent swap device from
> swapping off is held.  But I found the code is for file address space
> only, not for swap cache.  For example, for flush_dcache_page() in
> arch/parisc/kernel/cache.c,

This code is required with virtually cached architectures to flush
every mapping alias - unlike physically cached architectures where
flushing one mapping suffices.

> void flush_dcache_page(struct page *page)
> {
> 	struct address_space *mapping = page_mapping(page);
> 	struct vm_area_struct *mpnt;
> 	unsigned long offset;
> 	unsigned long addr, old_addr = 0;
> 	pgoff_t pgoff;
>
> 	if (mapping && !mapping_mapped(mapping)) {
> 		set_bit(PG_dcache_dirty, &page->flags);
> 		return;
> 	}
>
> 	flush_kernel_dcache_page(page);
>
> 	if (!mapping)
> 		return;
>
> 	pgoff = page->index;
>
> 	/* We have carefully arranged in arch_get_unmapped_area() that
> 	 * *any* mappings of a file are always congruently mapped (whether
> 	 * declared as MAP_PRIVATE or MAP_SHARED), so we only need
> 	 * to flush one address here for them all to become coherent */
>
> 	flush_dcache_mmap_lock(mapping);
> 	vma_interval_tree_foreach(mpnt, &mapping->i_mmap, pgoff, pgoff) {
> 		offset = (pgoff - mpnt->vm_pgoff) << PAGE_SHIFT;
> 		addr = mpnt->vm_start + offset;
>
> 		/* The TLB is the engine of coherence on parisc: The
> 		 * CPU is entitled to speculate any page with a TLB
> 		 * mapping, so here we kill the mapping then flush the
> 		 * page along a special flush only alias mapping.
> 		 * This guarantees that the page is no-longer in the
> 		 * cache for any process and nor may it be
> 		 * speculatively read in (until the user or kernel
> 		 * specifically accesses it, of course) */
>
> 		flush_tlb_page(mpnt, addr);
> 		if (old_addr == 0 || (old_addr & (SHM_COLOUR - 1))
> 				      != (addr & (SHM_COLOUR - 1))) {
> 			__flush_cache_page(mpnt, addr, page_to_phys(page));
> 			if (old_addr)
> 				printk(KERN_ERR "INEQUIVALENT ALIASES 0x%lx and 0x%lx in file %pD\n", old_addr, addr, mpnt->vm_file);
> 			old_addr = addr;
> 		}
> 	}
> 	flush_dcache_mmap_unlock(mapping);
> }
>

> if page is an anonymous page in swap cache, "mapping &&
> !mapping_mapped()" will be true, so we will delay flushing.  But if my
> understanding of the code were correct, we should call
> flush_kernel_dcache() because the kernel may access the page during
> swapping in/out.
>
> The code in other architectures follow the similar logic.  Would it be
> better for page_mapping() here to return NULL for anonymous pages even
> if they are in swap cache?  Of course we need to change the function
> name.  page_file_mapping() appears a good name, but that has been used
> already.  Any suggestion?

flush_dcache_page() does nothing for anonymous pages (see cachetlb.txt,
it's only defined to do anything for page cache pages.)

flush_anon_page() deals with anonymous pages.

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 8.8Mbps down 630kbps up