Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] mm documentation

On Tue, 2018-01-30 at 16:28 +0200, Mike Rapoport wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 02:41:41PM +0100, Michal Hocko wrote:

> > > Some parts are documented better, some worse. For instance,
> > > bootmem and z3fold are covered not bad at all, but, say,
> > > huge_memory has no structured comments at all. Roughly half of
> > > the files in mm/ have some documentation, but I didn't yet read
> > > that all to say how much of it is actually useful.
> >
> > It is good to hear that at least something has a documentation
> > coverage. I was asking mostly because I _think_ that the API
> > documentation is far from the top priority.
>
> API documentations is important for kernel developers who are not
> deeply involved with mm. When one develops a device driver, knowing
> how to allocate and free memory is essential. And, while *malloc are
> included in kernel-api.rst, CMA and HMM documentation is not visible.

Documentation is also one way new people get into the project.  Not
being top priority is fine, but "far from" top priority implies not
worth doing, which gives the wrong impression.

> > We are seriously lacking any highlevel one which describes the
> > design and subsytems interaction.
>
> I should have describe it better, but by "creating a new structure
> for mm documentation" I've also meant adding high level description.
>

> > Well, we have missed that train years ago. It will be really hard
> > to catch up.
>
> At least we can try.

How about simply insisting on adequately documenting new stuff and
asking submitters to add documentation when they change something.  The
latter, at least, is fairly essential: there's nothing worse than
documentation that's actively wrong.  The former is useful to
reviewers.  I'm not saying this alone will ever get you to 100%, but at
least it's an incremental change which isn't too burdensome and which
moves the needle in the right direction.

James