Re: [LSF/MM ATTEND] Requests to attend MM Summit 2018

On Sun 28-01-18 18:22:01, Anshuman Khandual wrote:
[...]
> 1. Supporting hotplug memory as a CMA region
>
> There are situations where a platform identified specific PFN range
> can only be used for some low level debug/tracing purpose. The same
> PFN range must be shared between multiple guests on a need basis,
> hence its logical to expect the range to be hot add/removable in
> each guest. But once available and online in the guest, it would
> require a sort of guarantee of a large order allocation (almost the
> entire range) into the memory to use it for aforesaid purpose.
> Plugging the memory as ZONE_MOVABLE with MIGRATE_CMA makes sense in
> this scenario but its not supported at the moment.

Isn't Joonsoo's[1] work doing exactly this?

[1] http://lkml.kernel.org/r/1512114786-5085-1-git-send-email-iamjoonsoo.kim@xxxxxxx

Anyway, declaring CMA regions to the hotplugable memory sounds like a
misconfiguration. Unless I've missed anything CMA memory is not
migratable and it is far from trivial to change that.

> This basically extends the idea of relaxing CMA reservation and
> declaration restrictions as pointed by Mike Kravetz.
>
> 2. Adding NUMA
>
> Adding NUMA tracking information to individual CMA areas and use it
> for alloc_cma() interface. In POWER8 KVM implementation, guest HPT
> (Hash Page Table) is allocated from a predefined CMA region. NUMA
> aligned allocation for HPT for any given guest VM can help improve
> performance.

With CMA using ZONE_MOVABLE this should be rather straightforward. We
just need a way to distribute CMA regions over nodes and make the core
CMA allocator to fallback between nodes in a the nodlist order.

> 3. Reducing CMA allocation failures
>
> CMA allocation failures are primarily because of not being unable to
> isolate or migrate the given PFN range (Inside alloc_contig_range).
> Is there a way to reduce the failure chances ?
>
> D. MAP_CONTIG (Mike Kravetz, Laura Abbott, Michal Hocko)
>
> I understand that a recent RFC from Mike Kravetz got debated but without
> any conclusion about the viability to add MAP_CONTIG option for the user
> space to request large contiguous physical memory.

The conclusion was pretty clear AFAIR. Our allocator simply cannot
handle arbitrary sized large allocations so MAP_CONTIG is really hard to
provide to the userspace. If there are drivers (RDMA I suspect) which
would benefit from large allocations then they should use a custom mmap
implementation which preallocates the memory.

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs