Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM TOPIC] Matthew's minor MM topics

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 01:26:46PM +0100, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Tue 16-01-18 06:13:54, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > 1. GFP_DMA / GFP_HIGHMEM / GFP_DMA32
> >
> > The documentation is clear that only one of these three bits is allowed
> > to be set.  Indeed, we have code that checks that only one of these
> > three bits is set.  So why do we have three bits?  Surely this encoding
> > works better:
> >
> > 00b (normal)
> > 01b GFP_DMA
> > 10b GFP_DMA32
> > 11b GFP_HIGHMEM
> > (or some other clever encoding that maps well to the zone_type index)
>
> Didn't you forget about movable zone? Anyway, if you can simplify this
> thing I would be more than happy. GFP_ZONE_TABLE makes my head spin
> anytime I dare to look.

I didn't *forget* about it, exactly.  I just didn't include it because
(as I understand it), it's legitimate to ask for GFP_DMA | GFP_MOVABLE.
To quote:

 * The zone fallback order is MOVABLE=>HIGHMEM=>NORMAL=>DMA32=>DMA.
 * But GFP_MOVABLE is not only a zone specifier but also an allocation
 * policy. Therefore __GFP_MOVABLE plus another zone selector is valid.
 * Only 1 bit of the lowest 3 bits (DMA,DMA32,HIGHMEM) can be set to "1".

I don't understand this, personally.  I assumed it made sense to someone,
but if we can collapse GFP_MOVABLE into this and just use the bottom three
bits as the zone number, then that would be an even better cleanup.

> > 2. kvzalloc_ab_c()
> >
> > We also need to go through and convert dozens of callers that are
> > doing kvzalloc(a * b) into kvzalloc_array(a, b).  Maybe we can ask for
> > some coccinelle / smatch / checkpatch help here.
>
> I do not see anything controversial here. Is there anything to be
> discussed here? If there is a common pattern then a helper shouldn't be
> a big deal, no?

Good!  Let's try and dispose of this quickly.

> > 4. vmf_insert_(page|pfn|mixed|...)
> >
> > vm_insert_foo are invariably called from fault handlers, usually as
> > the last thing we do before returning a VM_FAULT code.  As such, why do
> > they return an errno that has to be translated?  We would be better off
> > returning VM_FAULT codes from these functions.
>
> Which tree are you looking at? git grep vmf_insert_ doesn't show much.
> vmf_insert_pfn_p[mu]d and those already return VM_FAULT error code from
> a quick look.

I didn't explain this well.  Today, vm_insert_page() returns -EFAULT,
-EINVAL, -ENOMEM or -EBUSY.  I'd like to see it replaced with a new
function called vmf_insert_page() which returns a vm_fault_t rather
than have every caller of vm_insert_page() convert that errno into
a vm_fault_t.