Re: too big min_free_kbytes

On 01/28/2011 12:46 PM, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

My whole point in claiming it can't affect the balancing of the lrus,
is that the real lru rotation is entirely controlled by the
allocator. It doesn't matter if kswapd stops at high or high+gap, for
any zone at any time, as long as the allocator only allocates from one
zone or the other. And if the allocator allocates from all zones in a
perfectly balanced way, again kswapd will shrink in a perfectly
balanced way over time regardless of high or high+gap.

My point is, the behaviour you describe would be WRONG :)

The reason is that the different zones can contain data
that is either heavily used or rarely used, often some
mixture of the two, but sometimes the zones are out of
balance in how much the data in memory gets touched.

We need to reclaim and reuse the lightly used memory
a little faster than the heavily used memory, to even
out the memory pressure between zones.