Re: stalled MM patches

On Fri 01-12-17 09:31:55, Alexandru Moise wrote:
[...]
> > Subject: mm/madvise: enable soft offline of HugeTLB pages at PUD level
> >
> >   Hoping for Kirill review.  I wanted additional code comments (I
> >   think).  mhocko nacked it.
>
> TBH I'd rather give up this one if mhocko feels that there's no point to it.
> Rather drop it than risk adding crap in the kernel :).
>
> It is a bit weird though that currently we have the behavior that on some PPC platforms
> you can migrate 1G hugepages but on x86_64 you cannot.

I _think_ we can apply this patch in the end. But there is more work to
be done before we can do that. PPC is probably broken in that regard as
well, we just haven't noticed before this got merged. I find the
hwpoison based reasons for merging disputable at best but this is not
serious enough to call for a revert. I am currently working on patches
to make giga pages migratable for real and then we can apply your patch
on top.

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs