Re: [patch] mm: fix deferred congestion timeout if preferred zone is not allowed

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011, Andi Kleen wrote:

> cpusets didn't exist when I designed that. But the idea was that
> the kernel has a first choice ("hit") and any other node is a "miss"
> that may need investigation.  So yes I would consider cpuset config as an
> intention too and should be counted as hit/miss.

Ok, so there's no additional modification that needs to be made with the
patch (other than perhaps some more descriptive documentation of a
NUMA_HIT and NUMA_MISS).  When the kernel passes all zones into the page
allocator, it's relying on cpusets to reduce that zonelist to only
allowable nodes by using ALLOC_CPUSET.  If we can allocate from the first
zone allowed by the cpuset, it will be treated as a hit; otherwise, it
will be treated as a miss.  That's better than treating everything as a
miss when the cpuset doesn't include the first node.