Re: kernel BUG at fs/xfs/xfs_aops.c:853! in kernel 4.13 rc6

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 12:44:33PM -0500, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 05:14:41PM -0500, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> >> So my suggestions for this case are two fold.
> >>
> >> - Tweak Docker and friends to not be sloppy and hold onto extra
> >>   resources that they don't need.  That is just bad form.
> >>
> >> - Generalize what ext4, f2fs, xfs and possibly the network filesystems
> >>   with umount_begin are doing into a general disconnect this filesystem
> >>   from it's backing store operation.
> >>
> >>   That operation should be enough to drop the reference to the backing
> >>   device so that device mapper doesn't care.
> >
> > Define the semantics of a forced filesystem unmount are supposed to
> > be first, then decide whether an existing shutdown operation can be
> > used. It may be we just need a new flag to the existing API to
> > implement slightly different semantics (e.g to silence unnecessary
> > warnings), but at minimum I think we've need the ->unmount_begin op
> > name to change to indicate it's function, not document the calling
> > context...
>
> Definite the expected semantics of a forced filesystem umount is the
> same process as defining the semantics of a forced filesytem shutdown.
> Look at the code and see what it does and document it.
>
> That said, a quick skim through the umount_begin methods on network
> filesystems (the only filesystems that implement umount_begin) it
> appears they drop the network connection.  Which is pretty much the same
> as dropping the connection to the bdev.

Sure. But what do they do to incoming attempts to read from the
filesystem, or modify/write it in some way? That behaviour really
isn't defined in any way and what we need to do that so *all
filesystems behave the same way*.

As I've already pointed out, ext4 implements different shutdown
semantics to XFS even though it copied the user API to trigger
shutdowns. That's not an acceptible situation for a generic shutdown
operation....

> So I think there is good reason
> to believe these two cases can be unified.  They may not be exactly the
> same but they are close enough that the should be able to share common
> infrastructure.

You're making it sound so much simpler than it really is...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner