Re: + mm-madvise-enable-soft-offline-of-hugetlb-pages-at-pud-level.patch added to -mm tree

On Tue, Oct 03, 2017 at 10:00:14AM +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Tue 03-10-17 09:49:01, Alexandru Moise wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 03, 2017 at 09:33:01AM +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:
> > > I am sorry to jump here late

> > > This patch is wrong I believe! And I suspect 94310cbcaa3c2 is wrong as
> > > well but I am not familiar with ppc enough to be sure. It will allow
> > > PUD, PGD pages to be allocated from the zone movable while at least PUD
> > > pages are not migrateable for x86_64 AFAIR. Are PGD pages migrateable
> > > on ppc? If yes, are there any other architectures to allow PGD hugetlb
> > > pages which are not migrateable?
> > >
> > > Andrew, could you drop it please?
> > >

> > What exactly makes it wrong? When I tested this I saw no failure,
> > copy_huge_page() seems to take into account gigantic hugepages,
> > and when you move the mapping you don't really care about the
> > page size?
>
> Migrating 1GB (PUD) pages on x86_64 is just too easy to fail (if it
> works at all) and so such an allocation can easily prefent memory
> offline to succeed. Have you tested that scenario?

Soft offline works if you have an availlable page in the free list or
overcommit pages. If you fail to allocate one then soft offline fails
and the page stays mapped where it is.
There was also a refcount fix for the event in which soft offline fails
for hugepages. (commit 30809f559a) I started looking around this area
when I had to backport that fix to an older kernel.

../Alex