Re: [v6 3/4] mm, oom: introduce oom_priority for memory cgroups

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017, Roman Gushchin wrote:

> > > Do you have an example, which can't be effectively handled by an approach
> > > I'm suggesting?
> >
> > No, I do not have any which would be _explicitly_ requested but I do
> > envision new requirements will emerge. The most probable one would be
> > kill the youngest container because that would imply the least amount of
> > work wasted.
>
> I agree, this a nice feature. It can be implemented in userspace
> by setting oom_priority.

Yes, the "kill the newest memory cgroup as a tiebreak" is not strictly
required in the kernel and no cgroup should depend on this implementation
detail to avoid being killed if it shares the same memory.oom_priority as
another cgroup.  As you mention, it can be effectively implemented by
userspace itself.