Re: [patch] mm: skip rebalance of hopeless zones

Andrew,

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 05:27:06PM +0100, Johannes Weiner wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 01:17:23PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Does that mean we can expect a v2?
>
> Ok, while comparing Mel's patches with this change on IRC, I realized
> that the enterprise kernel the issue was reported against is lacking
> 'de3fab3 vmscan: kswapd: don't retry balance_pgdat() if all zones are
> unreclaimable'.
>
> The above change fixed the observed malfunction of course, but Occam's
> Razor suggests that de3fab3 will do so, too.  I'll verify that, but I
> don't expect to send another version of this patch.

The problem is not reproducable on a kernel with de3fab3 applied.  You
were right from the start, it was a bug in the all_unreclaimable code.

The hopeless zone patch fixed the bug as well.  So I had a problem, a
working fix for it, and a broken mental image of the code that had me
convinced the all_unreclaimable logic was just not enough.

Maybe there is still a corner case where the all_unreclaimable logic
falls apart, but unless this happens in reality, I don't think there
is any reason to further pursue this.