Re: [patch] memcg: add oom killer delay

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:

> seems to be hard to use. No one can estimate "milisecond" for avoidling
> OOM-kill. I think this is very bad. Nack to this feature itself.

There's no estimation that is really needed, we simply need to be able to
stall long enough that we'll eventually kill "something" if userspace
fails to act.

> If you want something smart _in kernel_, please implement followings.
>
>  - When hit oom, enlarge limit to some extent.
>  - All processes in cgroup should be stopped.
>  - A helper application will be called by usermode_helper().
>  - When a helper application exit(), automatically release all processes
>    to run again.

Hmm, that's a _lot_ of policy to be implemented in the kernel itself and
comes at the cost of either being faulty (if the limit cannot be
increased) or harmful (when increasing the limit is detrimental to other
memcg).