Re: Potential race in TLB flush batching?

On Tue, 2017-07-11 at 15:07 -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Mel Gorman <mgorman@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I would change this slightly:
>
> > +void flush_tlb_batched_pending(struct mm_struct *mm)
> > +{
> > +       if (mm->tlb_flush_batched) {
> > +               flush_tlb_mm(mm);
>
> How about making this a new helper arch_tlbbatch_flush_one_mm(mm);
> The idea is that this could be implemented as flush_tlb_mm(mm), but
> the actual semantics needed are weaker.  All that's really needed
> AFAICS is to make sure that any arch_tlbbatch_add_mm() calls on this
> mm that have already happened become effective by the time that
> arch_tlbbatch_flush_one_mm() returns.

Jumping in ... I just discovered that 'new' batching stuff... is it
documented anywhere ?

We already had some form of batching via the mmu_gather, now there's a
different somewhat orthogonal and it's completely unclear what it's
about and why we couldn't use what we already had. Also what
assumptions it makes if I want to port it to my arch....

The page table management code was messy enough without yet another
undocumented batching mechanism that isn't quite the one we already
had...

Ben.