Re: printk: Should console related code avoid __GFP_DIRECT_RECLAIM memory allocations?

On Fri 07-07-17 11:39:18, Sergey Senozhatsky wrote:
[...]
> > void drm_modeset_lock_all(struct drm_device *dev)
> > {
> >         struct drm_mode_config *config = &dev->mode_config;
> >         struct drm_modeset_acquire_ctx *ctx;
> >         int ret;
> >
> >         ctx = kzalloc(sizeof(*ctx), GFP_KERNEL);
> >         if (WARN_ON(!ctx))
> >                 return;
>
> hm, this allocation, per se, looks ok to me. can't really blame it.
> what you had is a combination of factors
>
> 	CPU0			CPU1				CPU2
> 								console_callback()
> 								 console_lock()
> 								 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 	vprintk_emit()		mutex_lock(&par->bo_mutex)
> 				 kzalloc(GFP_KERNEL)
> 	 console_trylock()	  kmem_cache_alloc()		  mutex_lock(&par->bo_mutex)
> 	 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^	   io_schedule_timeout
>
> // but I haven't seen the logs that you have provided, yet.
>
> [..]
> > As a result, console was not able to print SysRq-t output.
> >
> > So, how should we avoid this problem?
>
> from the top of my head -- console_sem must be replaced with something
> better.

Yeah, absolutely. The current mess just allows basically arbitrary lock
depencies which are not deadlocks because the printk part is careful but
essentially we are deadlocked wrt. functionality.

> but that's a task for years.
>
> hm...
>
> > But should fbcon, drm, tty and so on stop using __GFP_DIRECT_RECLAIM
> > memory allocations because consoles should be as responsive as printk() ?
>
> may be, may be not. like I said, the allocation in question does not
> participate in console output. it's rather hard to imagine how we would
> enforce a !__GFP_DIRECT_RECLAIM requirement here. it's console semaphore
> to blame, I think.

Agreed! Looking at the problem just from the page allocator perspective
is simply wrong. That is where you see your immediate problem because
that is what you are testing I would bet my hat you can find other
interesting scenarios if you try too hard...

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs