Re: [RFC 05/11] x86/mm: Rework lazy TLB mode and TLB freshness tracking

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 9:54 PM, Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Anyway, my point is that I think that, if this is really a problem, we
> should optimize mm_cpumask updating more generally instead of coming
> up with something that's specific to idle transitions.

I suspect the right data structure may be some kind of linked list,
not a bitmask at all.  The operations that should be fast are adding
yourself to the list, removing yourself from the list, and iterating
over all CPUs in the list.  Iterating over all CPUs in the list should
be reasonably fast, but the other two operations are more important.
We have the nice property that a given CPU is only on one such list at
a time.